Rating System:

For those of you who don't know, I rate books based on their ability to hold my attention. I don't really like to rip apart someone's hard work. If I don't finish a book, then I don't feel comfortable rating it. So you might see a lot of 4 and 5 star ratings. However, if I do have issues with a book, I will always tell you. Enjoy! (:

Monday, December 7, 2015

The Sword of Summer Review

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
5 Stars
I absolutely love the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series so when I saw that Rick Riordan had another book coming out, I had to read it. This was the Better Read Than Dead book for November and I loved it. I will say that at some points it was a little slow, but things always picked back up again. I found that Norse mythology is actually a tad complicated and was grateful for the glossary in the back of the book, but you'll be fine not knowing anything so don't feel the need to shy away because of that. Our main character Magnus Chase is actually 16 years old and homeless which was quite different, but he is every bit as sassy as Percy is. I tried not to compare the books as I read, however, I just couldn't help myself. I fell in love with these characters. If you haven't heard, we have a deaf character and also a character of Middle Eastern descent and they're both wonderful in their own ways. I felt the need to mention these characters because I personally haven't read enough books with that kind of diversity. You can expect a lot of humor throughout The Sword of Summer as well as pop culture relevance with mentions of Taylor Swift, Arrow, Breaking Bad and more. I must say that Thor and his goats crack me up. If you've read it, then you know exactly why I had to mention them. I honestly have so much to say, but everything is so spoilery! Ugh! I recommend you give this book a try whether you've read Rick's previous works or not, but especially if you have. As always, feel free to join us over on Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/157333-better-read-than-dead-bookclub).
Xoxo,
Gabriella

No comments:

Post a Comment