Rating System:

For those of you who don't know, I rate books based on their ability to hold my attention. I don't really like to rip apart someone's hard work. If I don't finish a book, then I don't feel comfortable rating it. So you might see a lot of 4 and 5 star ratings. However, if I do have issues with a book, I will always tell you. Enjoy! (:

Monday, December 7, 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses Review

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas
5 Stars
When I first heard about this book it was on Booktube and everyone was saying it was going to be a Beauty and the Beast retelling. Being that Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite, I was so going to make sure that I read it. Despite having preordered it, I hyped myself up too much and didn’t end up reading it until now. Which worked out since I made it the Better Read Than Dead pick for December.


Now this may be kind of irrelevant, but I use an Android app called “Read Tracker” that tells me how long it takes me to read. When I found out that it took me 17 minutes to read just 12 pages, I immediately snapchatted my friend Grace about how this book was going to take me absolutely forever to read. Boy was I wrong, I had read all 416 pages by the following evening. Sarah J Maas blew my mind! At first I was prepared for things to go slow considering the first couple of chapters hadn’t grabbed me yet, but once Feyre was taken away I couldn’t put it down.


Now to take a better look at things. Feyre, our main character, is not someone I found myself focusing on too much. Maybe it’s because in some odd way, I wanted to be her or maybe it was just because she was surrounded by cooler characters. I’m not saying that I didn’t like her because I did, I just enjoyed the men in this novel a whole lot more. I loved Tamlin’s awkwardness despite his strength and “celebrity”. I definitely found myself being drawn in by his charm. However, Lucien might be my favorite. Throughout this novel he is so sassy and he is unafraid to express himself. I often found myself giggling at his remarks, they’re just gold. Rhysand though, I couldn’t trust him one bit. This didn’t stop me from falling in love with him though. The way he was first described really drew me in, but his personality and the way he presented himself kept me around. I am looking forward to seeing more of him in A Court of Mist and Fury.


Lastly, I didn’t really care for Feyre’s family. They seemed quite ungrateful to me. They may have shown another side, but I’m still not quite sold. A few things that I absolutely loved were that our main character wasn’t portrayed as some fragile, innocent virgin like so many YA novels have the tendency to do. In fact, her virginity wasn’t discussed because it was long gone. I appreciated that the sex scenes weren’t fluffy. While not graphic, Maas did not beat around the bush. We all knew what was happening and it was damn good. Now I’ve seen a few reviews talking about a particular moment being kind of “rapey” or having been an assault. Now I am not encouraging this behavior in the real world whatsoever, but, and this is a big but, this is a YA fantasy novel where one of the characters in question is quite literally animalistic in several aspects. The man has claws for christ’s sake. However, I do see why those things are being said and I actually would love to hear what Maas has to say about it.


Overall, I enjoyed ACOTAR. I honestly would have given it more than 5 stars had that been possible. If any of you have read this, please leave a comment. I am dying to talk about it! Meanwhile, I will be not so patiently waiting for the sequel to come out in May 2016. Also a reminder that anyone is welcome to join our bookclub (https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/157333-better-read-than-dead-bookclub), we’d love to have you.
Xoxo,
Gabriella

No comments:

Post a Comment